So yesterday I took a little road trip up to Scottsdale with Karen (Desert Chica Ramblings) and Becca (Our Crazy Boys) to attend a one day event for women business owners and entrepreneurs called Spark & Hustle. It is the brainchild of Tory Johnson, Good Morning America contributor and creator of Women for Hire. Spark & Hustle Phoenix is the 18th stop of a 20 city tour for 2012.
The conference aims to support and encourage women in their business ventures. Speakers included Julia Baker, creator of Julia Baker Confections, Becki Crosby, founder of Whippy Cake, and Chris Freytag (she was my fave…), National Health and Wellness Expert to name a few. I found them all to be inspirational and knowledgable about a variety of topics for women entrepreneurs.
My take aways? There were several…
- Social media is your business’ best friend (amen). But make it count. If you have something to tweet or Facebook, do it. If not, don’t.
- If you dont like talking “money” with your clients or customers, deal with it. Live with the discomfort and move on.
- And, on a related note, don’t be afraid to let someone walk away because they don’t like your pricing.
- As a working mom, learn to differ (some things can wait), delegate (let it go, already!) and dunk (loose it).
- Put “perfection” on the back shelf. Instead, strive for progress.
- Oh, and there was a little matter of a $10,000 contest…
Yes, imagine my shock and awe when I heard Tory Johnson say my name when it came time to announce the Spark & Hustle Phoenix/Lifetime Moms Woman Entrepreneur contest winner.
Wow. Let me say that backwards. Wow. Look at this crazy list of things included in the prize package.
I’m still sort of in shock, but also so humbled to be selected. I’ve made my mistakes, I don’t have all the answers and I’m daily trying to figure out this working mother thing. But what a boost of confidence. Speechless.
So thank you Spark & Hustle team and Lifetime Moms. You know I’ll be sharing about all the amazing prizes. Oh yes I will.